How to create stirrup for column with some easy to follow steps
- Concrete Cost Estimator
- Concrete Continuous Footing
- Landscape Bidding and Estimating
- Construction Cost Estimating
- Concrete and steel cost estimation
- Construction Cost Estimate Breakdown
- Construction Estimating Worksheet
- Home Construction Cost Estimate
- Estimate Pricing Sheet
- Sheet for General Contractor
- Construction Cost Estimate
- Labor Materials Cost Estimator
- Masonry Estimating Sheet
- Sheet for Building Contractor
- Construction Schedule Bar chart
- General Cost Estimator Sheet
- General Construction Estimate
- Building and Road Estimating Sheet
- Detailed expense estimates
- Door and Window Takeoff Sheet
- General Construction Cost Estimating Sheet
A RCC column contains two types of bars i.e. longitudinal bar and horizontal bar. The stirrups are used in horizontal bar and the ties are used in column. Stirrup is also known as ring, shear reinforcement, etc.
To produce stirrup for column, it is required to measure the cutting length of bar for stirrup as well as compute the number of stirrups and find out the size of stirrup.
It can be performed in following 4 easy steps.
1. Ascertain the size of stirrup
2. Compute the cutting bar length for stirrup
3. Compute the number of stirrups
4. Bending the bar in stirrup’s shape
Ascertain the Size of Stirrup
Suppose, the column size is 20″x 40″and the concrete clear cover for reinforcement of column is 1½”.
Therefore, the length of stirrup should be 40″-2×1½”=37″and width should be 20″-2×1½”=17″.
Therefore, the size of the stirrup is 37″x17″.
2. Compute Cutting-Bar-Length for Stirrup
Prior to cutting the bar, it is necessary to work out the cutting bar length for the stirrup.
There exist two terms like actual bar length and cutting bar length.
The actual bar length of stirrup is, 2 x length + 2 x width + 2 x hook’s length
= 2 x 37″ + 2 x 17″ + 2 x 3″
= 114″ or 9.5′.
To compute hook length, a formula that is 6db (diameter of bar) is used.
Therefore, the hook length for 10mmø bar is, 6 x 10 = 60 mm.
But length of hook should not be under 75mm (as per code).
So the hook length for the stirrup is 3″ (75mm = 3″).
The actual bar length of the stirrup is 9.5′. But the cutting bar length should be under the actual bar length.
3. Work out the Number of Stirrups
Suppose, there are two types of spacing for stirrups. One is S1 and another is S2. S1 is spanned 4″c/c and S2 is spanned 8″c/c.
S1 is arranged in the bottom ¼th portion and top ¼th portion of clear column’s length. S2 is arranged in the middle half portion of clear column’s length.
Clear column’s length signifies the height of column among the top of floor to bottom of beam.
One can also give 2 numbers of stirrup for column into beam-column joint.
The numbers of stirrups for column are calculated as follow :-
The floor height is 10′.
Beam height is 2′
Clear height of column is,
= floor height – beam height
= 10′ – 2′
Number of stirrups are,
= 4’/4″ + 4’/8″ + 2 + 1 (1 bar should be included for obtaining the exact number of stirrups.)
= 21 nos.
4. Bending the Bar in Stirrup’s Shape
Stirrup-making-machine is suitable for large project where huge quantities of stirrups are necessary.
It is also possible to produce stirrups manually and for this purpose a stand and a handle are required.
Just set the rod in the stand and twist the rod with the handle. Employ trial and error method to obtain the required size of stirrup. Always remember to maintain the hook angle at 135°.
- Application of concrete calculator
- Roofing Calculator can streamline the roof estimating process
- House construction cost calculator
- Engineering column design excel spreadsheet
- Material Estimating Sheet with Excel
- Materials List and Cost Estimate Worksheet
- Concrete Slab Estimating Calculator Sheet
- Common types of foundations for buildings
- Online calculation of construction materials
- Estimating with Excel for the Small Contractor
- Concrete Beam Design Spreadsheet
- Virtual Construction Management app for construction
- Autodesk’s Project Skyscraper
- Reed Construction’s Reed Insight
- Manage your construction project documentation
- Costimator, the popular cost estimating software
- On Center Software for construction professionals
- Free Construction Estimating Software
- Plumbing Calc Pro
- Cost Estimate Worksheet
- HVAC Piping Quantity Takeoff Worksheet
- Construction Estimating Software Sheet
- Estimate Cost Templates
- Construction Punch List
- Construction cost estimating template consisting estimating basic
- Gantt Chart Template for Excel
- Download Civil Engineering Spreadsheets with Verification
- The Building Advisor Estimating and Budgeting Worksheet
- Spreadsheet for design of concrete bridge
- Construction Estimating Software Free