What is a Railway Sleeper?
- Concrete Cost Estimator
- Concrete Continuous Footing
- Landscape Bidding and Estimating
- Construction Cost Estimating
- Concrete and steel cost estimation
- Construction Cost Estimate Breakdown
- Construction Estimating Worksheet
- Home Construction Cost Estimate
- Estimate Pricing Sheet
- Sheet for General Contractor
- Construction Cost Estimate
- Labor Materials Cost Estimator
- Masonry Estimating Sheet
- Sheet for Building Contractor
- Construction Schedule Bar chart
- General Cost Estimator Sheet
- General Construction Estimate
- Building and Road Estimating Sheet
- Detailed expense estimates
- Door and Window Takeoff Sheet
- General Construction Cost Estimating Sheet
Sleepers are vital components which are normally placed transverse to the rails. The rails are supported and set to transmit the loads from the rails to the ballast and the sub grade.
The purpose of sleepers: Retaining rails to proper gauge and alignment. Transmitting load uniformly from rails to larger area of ballast.
Providing elastic medium among rails and ballast.
Providing longitudinal and lateral strength.
Necessity of sleepers
The applicable sleepers should be cheap and they should contain least possible preliminary & maintenance cost.
Setting and detaching of fastenings are simple.
Adequate bearing area.
Maintenance and gauge adjustment are simple.
Track circuiting (electric insulation) can be done.
Capability of withstanding shocks and vibrations.
The following types of sleepers are available :-
Timber or wooden sleepers - Metal sleepers, Cast Iron sleepers
Steel sleepers - Concrete sleepers, Reinforced concrete sleepers, Pre-stressed concrete sleepers
Also Read: How to calculate the distance between the passenger and train
In this civil engineering article, detail information is provided on concrete sleepers.
Concrete sleepers: Benefits
Longer longevity (40 to 60 years).
Less damage is occurred at the time of handling/transmit.
Simple to retain gauge.
Good resistance capacity against fire or corrosion.
No chance of being theft.
No scope for gauge expansion.
They are not affected with vermin and natural decay.
Track - circuiting process is not complicated.
Sleepers - Spacing & Density
The effective span of the rail over the sleepers is decided by the distance among two nearby sleepers.
It is based on bearing the axle load & lateral thrust.
The number of sleepers in a track is specified by the number per rail length.
More number of sleepers can maintain strong lateral strength to the track.
The number of sleepers per rail differs in India from M+4 to M+7 for main track, where M denotes length of rail in meters.
- Application of concrete calculator
- Roofing Calculator can streamline the roof estimating process
- House construction cost calculator
- Engineering column design excel spreadsheet
- Material Estimating Sheet with Excel
- Materials List and Cost Estimate Worksheet
- Concrete Slab Estimating Calculator Sheet
- Common types of foundations for buildings
- Online calculation of construction materials
- Estimating with Excel for the Small Contractor
- Concrete Beam Design Spreadsheet
- Virtual Construction Management app for construction
- Autodesk’s Project Skyscraper
- Reed Construction’s Reed Insight
- Manage your construction project documentation
- Costimator, the popular cost estimating software
- On Center Software for construction professionals
- Free Construction Estimating Software
- Plumbing Calc Pro
- Cost Estimate Worksheet
- HVAC Piping Quantity Takeoff Worksheet
- Construction Estimating Software Sheet
- Estimate Cost Templates
- Construction Punch List
- Construction cost estimating template consisting estimating basic
- Gantt Chart Template for Excel
- Download Civil Engineering Spreadsheets with Verification
- The Building Advisor Estimating and Budgeting Worksheet
- Spreadsheet for design of concrete bridge
- Construction Estimating Software Free