Basic Thumb Rules For RCC Column Design
- Concrete Cost Estimator
- Concrete Continuous Footing
- Landscape Bidding and Estimating
- Construction Cost Estimating
- Concrete and steel cost estimation
- Construction Cost Estimate Breakdown
- Construction Estimating Worksheet
- Home Construction Cost Estimate
- Estimate Pricing Sheet
- Sheet for General Contractor
- Construction Cost Estimate
- Labor Materials Cost Estimator
- Masonry Estimating Sheet
- Sheet for Building Contractor
- Construction Schedule Bar chart
- General Cost Estimator Sheet
- General Construction Estimate
- Building and Road Estimating Sheet
- Detailed expense estimates
- Door and Window Takeoff Sheet
- General Construction Cost Estimating Sheet
This civil engineering article focuses on the basic thumb rules for a column layout. Though the design of RCC columns is created on the basis of the total load on the columns but there are also some thumb rules to get rid of probable errors.
Considerations should be given on the following thumb rules :
1. Size of the Columns
2. Distance between Columns
3. Alignment of columns
First Thumb rule - Size of the columns
a. The size of the columns is influenced by the total load on the columns.
b. Least size of the column should not be lower than 9”x9”.
c. The standard size of the columns for a single storey structure with M15 grade of concrete is 9”x9”.
d. When 9”x9” column size is required for 1 and half storey structure, it is recommended to employ M20 grade concrete.
e. A secure and structurally strong column size for a 1 and half storey structure should not remain under 12”x9” with M15 grade concrete.
Second Thumb Rule - Spacing amount the columns
a. It is necessary to keep equivalent spacing among the centres of two columns. A column layout should be provided on a grid.
b. The spacing among two columns with 9”x9” size should not remain in excess of 4m centre to centre of column.
c. When bigger barrier free distances are required then the column with bigger size should be applied.
The size of the columns is raised due to the following reasons:
1. Increase in the distance among two columns (It raises the dimensions of the columns along with the depth of the beam.)
Also Read: Some useful tips to design RCC columns
2. Height of the building (Increase in the number of floors is directly proportional to the dimensions of the columns.
Third Thumb Rule - Alignment of Columns
There should be a rectangular grid for placing the columns to get rid of errors and make the column placement process perfect.
The columns are mainly arranged in following ways :
1. In a straight line through a grid
2. In a circular fashion for circular buildings.
Zigzag arrangement of columns should not be followed for making structural design. It should be kept in mind that when columns are constructed, beams are placed connecting the columns.
The following major problems are occurred due to the Zigzag column placement:
1. Unbalanced load transfer
2. Errors in wall construction
3. Errors in placing beams
Don't forget to watch the following exclusive video tutorial for RCC column design:-
Video Source: Civil Engineers
- Application of concrete calculator
- Roofing Calculator can streamline the roof estimating process
- House construction cost calculator
- Engineering column design excel spreadsheet
- Material Estimating Sheet with Excel
- Materials List and Cost Estimate Worksheet
- Concrete Slab Estimating Calculator Sheet
- Common types of foundations for buildings
- Online calculation of construction materials
- Estimating with Excel for the Small Contractor
- Concrete Beam Design Spreadsheet
- Virtual Construction Management app for construction
- Autodesk’s Project Skyscraper
- Reed Construction’s Reed Insight
- Manage your construction project documentation
- Costimator, the popular cost estimating software
- On Center Software for construction professionals
- Free Construction Estimating Software
- Plumbing Calc Pro
- Cost Estimate Worksheet
- HVAC Piping Quantity Takeoff Worksheet
- Construction Estimating Software Sheet
- Estimate Cost Templates
- Construction Punch List
- Construction cost estimating template consisting estimating basic
- Gantt Chart Template for Excel
- Download Civil Engineering Spreadsheets with Verification
- The Building Advisor Estimating and Budgeting Worksheet
- Spreadsheet for design of concrete bridge
- Construction Estimating Software Free