Different Types of Sand Used in Construction
- Concrete Cost Estimator
- Concrete Continuous Footing
- Landscape Bidding and Estimating
- Construction Cost Estimating
- Concrete and steel cost estimation
- Construction Cost Estimate Breakdown
- Construction Estimating Worksheet
- Home Construction Cost Estimate
- Estimate Pricing Sheet
- Sheet for General Contractor
- Construction Cost Estimate
- Labor Materials Cost Estimator
- Masonry Estimating Sheet
- Sheet for Building Contractor
- Construction Schedule Bar chart
- General Cost Estimator Sheet
- General Construction Estimate
- Building and Road Estimating Sheet
- Detailed expense estimates
- Door and Window Takeoff Sheet
- General Construction Cost Estimating Sheet
Sand is one of the essential components of construction, without it construction is simply not possible
Two questions often asked are what are the types of sand in construction? And what types of sand are used for construction?
In this blog, we will take a deeper look into both of these queries.
What is Sand?
Sand is a naturally occurring material, it is obtained from locations like seas, beaches, desserts, and rivers.
Silica is the major component of sand. Sand is a granular material formed by weathering of rocks under extreme weather conditions. Sand has finer particles than gravel, the size of sand particles ranges from 0.75 mm to 4.75 mm.
Types of Sand
Based on the shape of particles, the color of sand, location, texture, and many other factors, sand is broadly classified into 7 types.
River sand also known as natural sand is naturally obtained from the banks of the rives. It is one of the most widely used varieties of sand.
Due to its smooth texture and fine particles, this sand is widely used for plaster work where a smooth finish is needed.
Also Read : How to evaluate the grade of sands at construction site
Also Read : Learn to measure the quantity for cement, sand and aggregate for a concrete slab
As the name suggests, concrete sand is made up of crushed concrete particles. This type of sand is used for concrete work as it provides strength and stability to the structure.
The sand is formed by crushing concrete fragments and removing larger particles. This concrete is widely used in patios, footpaths, and to level bases for other layers.
M-sand and P-sand
M-sand stands for manufacturing sand, this type of sand is made from crushed granites. This sand is used as a substitute for river sand because m-sand has more durability and flexibility than river sand.
P-sand stands for plastering sand and as the name suggests, this sand is widely used for plastering.
Fill sand has excellent compacting properties hence, it is used for several purposes, one of the main purposes being for filling.
Tasks like laying concrete, paving, and filling large holes are some of the main uses of filling sand.
Pit sand is a naturally occurring sand, it is obtained from the pits of soil that are 2 to 4 meters deep.
Before using pit sand for construction, it is screened properly because pit sand’s particles are coarser than other types of sand.
The main use of pit sand is to make mortars.
Utility sand is also known as pipe sand or fill sand.
This type of sand is formed from quartz and is used to fill trenches and utility pipes.
Due to its light color, masonry sand is also called white sand.
The properties of masonry sand are similar to that of concrete sand and are used in similar projects.
The only difference is that masonry sand’s particles are finer than that concrete sand, which results in a smoother texture.
These were the types of sand used in construction.
Which type of sand is best for construction?
Pit sand due to its superior binding property is the best sand for construction. It is found 2-3 meters under the ground and has a coarser texture.
Which type of sand is used for masonry work?
River sand or natural sand is the type of sand that is majorly used for masonry work.
What type of sand is used for casting?
Two types of sand are used in casting and they are green sand and resin sand.
This was all about the type of sand for construction.
Sand is found in thousands of varieties, however, only these 7 are used in construction.
- Application of concrete calculator
- Roofing Calculator can streamline the roof estimating process
- House construction cost calculator
- Engineering column design excel spreadsheet
- Material Estimating Sheet with Excel
- Materials List and Cost Estimate Worksheet
- Concrete Slab Estimating Calculator Sheet
- Common types of foundations for buildings
- Online calculation of construction materials
- Estimating with Excel for the Small Contractor
- Concrete Beam Design Spreadsheet
- Virtual Construction Management app for construction
- Autodesk’s Project Skyscraper
- Reed Construction’s Reed Insight
- Manage your construction project documentation
- Costimator, the popular cost estimating software
- On Center Software for construction professionals
- Free Construction Estimating Software
- Plumbing Calc Pro
- Cost Estimate Worksheet
- HVAC Piping Quantity Takeoff Worksheet
- Construction Estimating Software Sheet
- Estimate Cost Templates
- Construction Punch List
- Construction cost estimating template consisting estimating basic
- Gantt Chart Template for Excel
- Download Civil Engineering Spreadsheets with Verification
- The Building Advisor Estimating and Budgeting Worksheet
- Spreadsheet for design of concrete bridge
- Construction Estimating Software Free